Thursday 20 June 2013

Robin Cook in securing the right of Parliament do decide on war




Robin Cook
When I hear Prime Minister David Cameron talking about bypassing Parliament when deciding to go to war, I do remember a man of the Labour Party called Robin Cook who stood up for Parliament against the expediency of Prime Minister Tony Blair who I believe, and this it my humble opinion, should be put on trial as a War Criminal. 

When Tony Blair was rushing towards the illegal invasion of Iraq, Robin Cook put his conscience first and gave up his post as Foreign Secretary in the Labour Cabinet and that was the end of his political career.

Claire Short and many others did not have the guts to stand up and be counted.

Robin Cook will be forever in my memory as a man who rose to the occasion and passed the test with flying colours.
In January 2007, a headstone was erected in The Grange, Edinburgh Cemetery, where Cook is buried, bearing the epitaph: "I may not have succeeded in halting the war, but I did secure the right of parliament to decide on war.

No comments:

Post a Comment